Thursday, February 11, 2010

Angels and Airwaves- I Empire Review

Hey guys, its Dave here from The Classic Criminal. Todays review is of the second Angels and Airwaves album "I-Empire".

The album consists of 10 realy tracks and two instrumental tracks. The sound house a somewhat large difference from their first album "We Don't Need to Whisper". There are still the sound effects but there is more of the actual instruments this time around. Ryan Sinn, the former bassist on "We Don't Need to Whisper", was replaced with Matt Watcher, formerly of 30 Seconds to Mars.

Call to Arms- One of my favorite songs of the record. It is very catchy and builds off of guitar. The chorus is very catchy and constantly is in my head. It is fast, ryhthmitic, and just overall an excellent song. 10/10

Everything's Magic- Another very catchy song. It was the first single released for the record. It has very nice lyrics and a great chorus. It plays around a very good guitar line, similar to that of "Anthem Part II" by Blink-182, Delonge's former band. Overall one of the best song on the record. 9/10

Breathe- One of my least favorite on the album. I like the lyrics to the chorus, but it is just a little slow for my taste. It reminds me of the "Whisper" album due to the heavy amounts of sound effects. 7/10

Love Like Rockets- Probable my second favorite songs on the album. It opens with about 75 seconds of instrumental sounds and what sounds like a radio transmission. The first half of the intro is mostly clapping and sound effects while the second half has a pretty good tremolo style guitar line. The lyrics are amazing. Very catchy. 10/10

Sirens- Another great song. It opens and consistently stays with a very good bass riff. The guitars add to it to make it even better. This song is gone with most sound effects, although some are still in, to make it sound better than it would have otherwise. 9.5/10

Secret Crowds- Fantastic. Catchy. The lyrics are well thought out. There are a lot of sound effects in the intro but it switches to traditional guitars and drums and bass. The vocals are outstanding. I love this song. 9/10

Star of Bethlehem- Instrumental

True Love- Spawns out of "Star of Bethlehem. Its intro is made up of sound effects mainly. The lyrics are okay and the vocals are good. 8/10

Lifeline- My least favorite. Not catchy at all and just blah. Its comprised mostly of sound effects. 6/10

Jumping Rooftops- Instrumental

Rite of Spring- Probably my favorite on the album. The lyrics tell Tom's life story. It talks about how he goes through all of lifes trials and that if he could change his life, he wouldn't because he wouldn't be who he is now.

Heaven- I don't know what I think of this song. I don't really like it, but I'm not sure. It starts off with about 1 minute and 48 seconds of just instrumental sounds. The verses are normal instruments but the chorus is heavy sound effects paired with guitar riffs. I don't love it. I don't hate it. The only inbetween one of the album. 7/10

I give this album an overall 9 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers